Sega's Golden Axe is getting an animated series from Comedy Central

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Username Style

A “Golden Axe” animated series has been greenlit at Comedy Central, Variety has learned.

Based on the beloved Sega games of the same name, the show hails from co-creators Mike McMahan and Joe Chandler. Matthew Rhys (“The Americans,” “Perry Mason”), Danny Pudi (“Community,” “Mythic Quest”), Lisa Gilroy (“Jury Duty,” “Interior Chinatown”), Liam McIntyre (“Spartacus,” “The Flash”), and Carl Tart (“Grand Crew,” “Star Trek: Lower Decks”) will lead the voice cast.

Comedy Central has ordered 10 episodes. The official description of the series states the show “follows veteran warriors Ax Battler (McIntyre), Tyris Flare (Gilroy), and Gilius Thunderhead (Rhys) as they once again battle to save Yuria from the evil giant Death Adder who just won’t seem to stay dead. Fortunately, this time they have the inexperienced and underprepared Hampton Squib (Pudi) on their side.”

McMahan and Chandler will co-write the first episode of the series and serve as executive producers, with Chandler also serving as showrunner. Haruki Satomi, President and CEO of Sega Sammy Holdings Inc., Shuji Utsumi, president and COO of Sega Corporation, and Sega’s Toru Nakahara will also executive produce. Neal H. Moritz, Pavun Shetty and Toby Ascher of Original Film will executive produce as well along with Titmouse’s Chris Prynoski, Shannon Prynoski, Antonio Canobbio and Ben Kalina. Titmouse will serve as the animation studio for the series. CBS Studios’ animation arm, CBS Eye Animation, will produce along with Sony Pictures Television and Original Film.

So I take it this is a series about the game in a comedic mischievous manner? Alright. I know Sega has that special logo in the Sonic movie and these guys show up. Not sure how that will turn out later.

So I take it this is a series about the game in a comedic mischievous manner? Alright. I know Sega has that special logo in the Sonic movie and these guys show up. Not sure how that will turn out later.

you talking about this?

I think its for the movies right now. If it was a streaming thing im sure it would be at the beginning.

you talking about this?

I think its for the movies right now. If it was a streaming thing im sure it would be at the beginning.
Yeah, that one. If they had an Avengers-type deal with Sega characters then it would be weird doing it in different animation styles.

It shouldn't be a comedic animated series. Am guessing it will be like that awful Thundercats comedic animated series ugh.

I played Golden Axe at an Arcade many years ago. I hope Golden Axe animated series will be entertaining.

I can't see how it is going to do well. Golden Axe was a boring game, at least to me anyway. But I will at least check it out for sure.

Yeah, that one. If they had an Avengers-type deal with Sega characters then it would be weird doing it in different animation styles.

I watched the first 2 episodes of Knuckles and that logo appears at the end of the credits, albeit sped up.

How did you like Knuckles? I was very disappointed in the first episode. I sure hope it gets better.

It definitely gets better, they just needed Sonic and Tails to get it started. I have 2 episodes left.

Back